Thursday 6 June 2019

Bye Bye Westeros

-
It's been way too long since I’ve written one of these blogs.  I have no excuse.  Well, that’s not true.  I have multiple excuses, but simply none that are any good.  I think my sails lost some wind when I couldn't get to the movies to see Captain Marvel or SHAZAM!

While I’ve been gone, the world of geekdom has seen several major developments.  I’m not going to address them all, but I want to touch on two of them.

SPOILER WARNINGS FOR AVENGERS/AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D & GAME OF THRONES
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

I'm not going to address the events of End Game, it's been analyzed by a good portion of blogosphere has already picked it apart.  That being said, I feel the need to address a plot hole regarding Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  The show was synced with the Avengers’ timeline at the end of last season.  This season picked up one year later, which should put it a year after the snap.  Yet, the show completely ignores the fact that half the people on Earth are gone.  It's just lazy writing.  Grrrrrrrrrr…….  Enough said about that.


Photo Courtesy of Amazon's Affiliate Program.
I’d rather spend time giving my impressions of the Game of Thrones’ finale.  I know that’s been picked apart too, but I’ve been hashing it over with my friend Kyle, so I thought it'd be fun to post my thoughts here too.  Kyle, you can take a nap, I’ve told you all this.

I liked the way the story ended,  for the most part.  Although, I wanted Sam to kill Daenerys to avenge his father and brother.  Jon doing it though was powerful, but having Daenerys inadvertently create her own worst enemy would have been so much more epic.

In a similar vain, I REALLY WANTED Jaime to kill Sersi.  It would have been a great moment of redemption for his character.  Going from an incestuous sleaze who pushes boys out of windows to a knight who kills his lover for the good of the kingdom would have made a complete hero’s journey.  Still dying in each other's arms, while Bran came out on top was poetic justice.

When I watched it, I groaned at Bran becoming king.  I thought they did it just for the sake of the big twist.  I thought about it though, and given all the people who struggled to protect him, it made sense.  Hodor died holding the door to protect the one who would be king.  We live for the one, we die for the one.  Oh wait, that’s from a different saga.

I think Arya served her purpose.  Some people think she should've killed Sersi, but given that she had already killed the Night King and saved humanity from the White Walkers, it seems like a lot to ask.  Just saying.  There is a rumor she may get her own spin-off showing us what's west of Westeros.  We’ll see.

Right now, I’m gearing up for The Dark Phoenix Saga.  I know going in that they have to combine The Phoenix Saga with The Dark Phoenix Saga, so that won't bother me.  I just hope they do better with The Dark Phoenix Saga than they did with Apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Super Hero Prequels

- In 1999, George Lucas gave fans the first chapter of Darth Vader's origin story.   While Phantom Menace was, unquestionably, the wors...